Luggage Shipping to Costa Rica
Send your luggage to Costa Rica if you are moving there, or are enjoying an extended trip. You can also send things to your loved ones living in Costa Rica.
Important Costa Rica Customs Information
General Customs Information
The majority of Send My Bag shipments worldwide will not be stopped by customs as most countries offer a generous duty free allowance for personal effects.
‘Personal effects’ means used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is searched by Costa Rican customs and brand new or commercial items are found, your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts to Costa Rica please make yourself aware of potential customs duties in Costa Rica, follow any advice provided by customs and attach all necessary documentation.
As customs processes and allowances are different around the world, we advise all travellers to take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of Costa Rica.
To find out more see our customs information page.
In order to demonstrate that your bags or boxes consist of personal effects, you will be required to complete a brief non-generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "1 x Woollen Jumper, 5 x Pairs of Sandals, 3 x Cotton Shirt", and so on, rather than as "10 x Used Clothing". Each item type must be added as a separate line on the packing list.
What can I send to Costa Rica? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a holiday suitcase, for security and customs reasons however certain items are prohibited, please find these listed below.
A maximum of 1 lithium battery is permitted per shipment (excludes to / from Australia) when it is contained within a working personal electronic device such as a mobile phone. Review our battery policy.
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type (including nail varnish and perfume);
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than 1 device containing a battery in line with our battery policy;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations and toys of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Mobile Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.